Roedd y gwaith yma gan Nicholas Hlobo yn anadl o aer fres, y lliwiau, ar ffordd a osodwyd y gwaith yn byth gofiadwy imi. Wrth gerdded tuag at eu waith cewch gip olwg ar beth sy i ddod gan fod y gwaith yn llifo i fyny'r grisiau. Ar y llawr isa, mae'r cymeriad ddynol yn edrych allan ir pobl wrth iddyn nhw fynd heibio, peli wedi 'i gorchuddio a lledr ac hefyd rubannau yn lledaenu ar hyd y llawr, oedd hyn dim ond yn tamaid bach o beth oedd i ddod. Wrth ichi gerdded i fynu'r grisiau mae'r llwybr o rubannau a cymysgedd o ddefnydd yn cymeryd dros y grisiau gyfan, wrth fyned ir ystafell ucha sydd yn llawn rubannau, rhai amryw liw, o pob maint ym mhob man. Cefais mwynhad or ochr hwylus ohono. Rwyf yn meddwl gall Hlobo plesio cynulleidfa o bob oedran a ranau or byd. Clywais dwy ddynes mewn oed yn chwerthin ac hefyd yn mwynhau'r heddwch a all ddod gyda hwyl. Yn fy marn i nid wyf yn meddwl bod angen y cymeriadau ddynol o gwbl gan eu bod yn edrych yn galed i gymharu ar rubanau meddal, wrth gwrs fy marn i yw hon. Fe all fod y rheswm negyddol yma yn un rheswm pam fod eraill yn ei hoffi. Mae'n danfon neges gwahanol neu vibe diddorol.
Ribbons, colourful ribbons...
This work by Nicholas Hlobo was a breath of fresh air. Its colourful palette and its playful layout was a really memorable event for me. As you walk towards his work you get a glimpse of what was to come as the work flows upstairs. On the bottom floor, the human figure gazing out to the passersby and the leather covered balls and ribbon trail scattered on the floor was just a preview of what was to come. as you walk up the stairs this trail of ribbon wrapped with leather material takes over the entire stairway, as you enter the room you find yourself burrowing through colourful ribbons, ribbons everywhere, I really enjoyed the playful side of this work, it didn’t feel to serious or reserved, and I really think Hlobo could please a wide range of audience. When I was lost amongst the ribbon I could hear a group of elderly women laughing and enjoying the piece. Personally I don’t particularly find the figures, which are stitched up in what looks like leather, necessary. I think also they look too harsh amongst the colourful playful ribbon. This negative reason could be a reason at why others do like it; it employs a different kind of vibe, a message. I feel Hlobo has approached the 'touched' theme cleverly with this piece. Physically, its quite clear how this was an appropriate piece of work for the Biennial. I think it brings people together, your almost lost in this ribbon fantasy, together in a disclosed area.
What a cool pensioner. I found Carol Rama’s paintings at the bluecoat exhibition really interesting. When you look around the room, it oozes maturity; I think this is due to the placement of her works and how she's presented them. I appreciated how the paintings were framed, all miss match, I felt like I was in my grandmothers living room, it was cosy but quite dark too. As the space gave off a very comfortable feeling which could be in contrast to what is presented on the walls, dark erotic paintings that could cause discomfort to some audiences. Her use of materials is quite simple and I really liked the overall affect, its simplicity is really beautiful especially when the subject is quite aggressive. I particularly like how she used plastic eyes on some of her works; it’s playful but also could be read quite creepy. Her works are very imaginative. I think her choice in colour is really complimented against the tawny background which I find attractive to the eye. What are most interesting about Rama’s work is her chosen subjects, she explores sexuality and identity. How she applies her paint creates a kind of angelic feel, it’s delicate and this contrast with the subject matter is really engrossing.

No comments:
Post a Comment