
Roedd yr Arlunydd Lars Laumann syn sylfaenu o oslo yn arddangos tri math o waith, fidio yn y oriel Open Eye. Roedd darn o ffilm 'Morrissey fortelling The death of Diana' yn gasgliad o ffilm a fidio ohoni a caneuon syn addas gyda chwedlau gan Morrissey-prif ganwr or band The Smiths seminal 1986 or albwm'The Queen is dead'. Yn bersonnol nid oedd y darn yma yn fy ysbrydoli, hefyd dywedwyd mae geiriau wedi ymguddio drwy negeseuon yn y geirfa. Teimlais bo hyn yn ddi lwyddianus. Nid oeddwn yn medru deallt eu bwriad,hynnu yw, joc diflas neu cyd destyn difrifol, oherwydd hyn collais diddordeb yn llwyr. Yn dweud hynnu dwi'n gwerthfawrogi'r cynnig ar ymchwil tuag at y mater.
The Oslo-based artist Lars Laumann had three pieces of work, all video at the open eye gallery. Laumann's video Morrissey Foretelling The Death of Diana is a montage of found film and video footage, appropriated song fragments, and a meticulously researched voice-over narrative - that Morrissey, the former lead singer of The Smiths, somehow anticipated the 1997 death of Princess Diana via cryptic clues and asides secreted in his lyrics or embedded in images on Smiths' record sleeves or in their pop videos. Focusing on a track-by-track analysis of The Smiths' seminal 1986 Album "The Queen Is Dead" Laumann's film adopts the form of a conspiracy-theory-cum-urban-myth. Personally I did not particularly find this piece great or inspiring, even though there are rumours of The Smiths having hidden messages in their lyrics, I do feel Laumann's approach to this was rather unsuccessful. Throughout the footage I couldn’t figure out Laumanns intensions, whether it was a dull joke or it was in serious context. I appreciate his efforts and how well he researched this matter, but for me, it was too long, too drawn out and because of this I lost interest pretty quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment